February 28, 2006

What a Night

Tonight I was at Lukas' to hang out and we had a visit from the fire department. For the fire in the oven. They came after Gretchen and Heather put out the fire...

The night started out normal: I arrived to...wait, it wasn't quite normal - Elliot wasn't jumping all over me and barking incessantly! Hailey was at the top of the stairs saying 'kan'i, kan'i!' over and over again. I walked up the stairs into the living room with Hailey wanting me to pick her up as I shrugged off my coat. Gretchen and I exchange hi's as I picked up Hailey. We all go into the bedroom where Ezra is lounging on the bed, just waking up.

Gretchen grabs Ez and we go out to the kitchen, where Gretchen is getting ready to make peanut butter cookies. After the cookies are mixed up (with Hailey trying to eat the flour and the batter and saying 'cookie' all the while) we start preparing supper: french onion soup (thanks, Jenni!) and grilled cheese sandwiches. (Mmmmm!)

We sat down to eat, keeping in mind that American Idol would start soon, and we had a nice time visiting over the food. Gretchen cleaned up while I took Ez out of the bouncy seat - he was feeling left out - and Hailey headed off to her bath.

Just as Hailey’s bath ended American Idol came on and while we were waiting for the first pan of cookies we watched upstairs, after which we moved downstairs to watch it on the big screen. (and getting the volume to work is a whole 'nother story in itself!) So, Gretchen, Hailey, Ez and I were all settled in downstairs watching American Idol when the night got interesting.

Gretchen started smelling burning cookies so went to check on them. I thot nothing of it - figuring that the timer had gone off and we hadn't heard it. Well....Gretchen started screaming for Heather to come up cuz the oven was on fire. Heather went running upstairs (with me following to bring Hailey back downstairs) and....you'll have to ask Gretchen the rest of the story. I kept Hailey and Ez happy in the basement while Heather and Gretchen put out the fire and started cleaning up the mess. Oh! Did it smell...bad. Not like peanut-butter-cookies-burnt-bad, but... house-burnt-down-strange-and-kinda-indefinable-bad. After calling Dan’s mom Gretchen called the fire department. They came. It full gear. They checked everything out. Used the word 'fluke'. They left. Dan came home. (remember me saying before that he always leaves when I come over?) I went home....and spilled stuff all over my car that I had to clean up, but I don't want to talk about that now...goodnight!

No comments: